Muslim clergy clash with Mwembelegeza Scheme members over mosque construction

 

piece of land in Mwembelegeza, Kadzandani, Nyali Constituency in Mombasa
Battled piece of land in Mwembelegeza, Kadzandani, Nyali Constituency in Mombasa. FILE

 

A row brewing over the use and ownership of a piece of land in Mwembelegeza, Kadzandani, Nyali Constituency in Mombasa following the demolition of ongoing mosque construction.



Residents claim that there is anxiety between Mwatamba Police Station officers and members of Mwembelegeza Scheme over the proposed construction of an ultra-modern mosque and madrassa in the area.

 


Last week, the angry residents objected and called for the ongoing construction to stop, through a letter to County Commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo.


The Mwembelegeza Scheme members say any construction on the public utility land must be subjected to public participation.



On Friday, the construction was stopped. However, youths purportedly wrecked the mosque on Saturday.



It is alleged that the construction at the site commenced a week ago via sponsors from Turkey and with the permissions of Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho.



However, it ended up being a war between Nyali MP Mohammed Ali, Kadzandani MCA Francis Kombe Nzai and Kenya Muslims National Advisory Council (Kemnac) Chairman Sheikh Juma Ngao.



Bishop Jonathan Dena of the New Testament Church of God denounced the demolition of the mosque saying that there was no need to bring it down.



Muslim clerics from Supkem, Kemnac and Cipk also condemned the demolition of the mosque.



Sheikh Mahmoud Abdillahi called on those engaged to repent or face God’s wrath.



Ustadh Adam Wario, the chairman for the project, said that since January, they have been speaking about the construction of the mosque and a nursery school.


The religious leaders pointed an accusing finger at the Nyali MP, claiming he hired goons to bring down the mosque.




“It is very unfortunate. All my life I have not seen a church or a mosque being demolished until today. This place was to have modern madrassa classes,” Kadzandani MCA Kombe said.


Kemnac chairman Sheikh Ngao challenged the MP to try again preventing the construction of the mosque which he vowed will resume from Monday morning.



But the Nyali MP said that there were genuine pleas from Mwembelegeza Scheme members over the construction of a mosque on public utility land.



“Let us not use religion to peddle politics. Things are in black and white; the residents have complained and presented their petition to the county commissioner’s office and that is what led to the suspension of the construction,” Mr Ali said.




“We have never seen him and the county commissioner ordered that the construction stops,” the MP said.



He asked the contractor to come out clean on the details of the construction, the donor details and approvals from the Mombasa County government.


“There are more than three mosques in this locality and whatever they are constructing is not a mosque. Why are they hiding? We have been looking for the donor for the last 14 days in vain. Sheikh Ngao and MCA Kombe are guns for hire and they are not genuine about this project,” Mr Ali added.

 

Post a Comment

What is your say on this

Previous Post Next Post