5 Form 4 students go blind, 1 dies after drinking Sanitizer at Kaputir Secondary School -Turkana

Form Four student of Kaputir Mixed Secondary School photo

 

A Form Four student of Kaputir Mixed Secondary School in Turkana South dies as five others going blind after drinking hand sanitiser in the school lab.


The six male learners, aged between 16 and 17, drank the substance rich in alcohol on Saturday, February 20.


The five, who went blind, say they grieve taking the harmful matter.


One of them, who aims to become a medical doctor saying his unfortunate actions shattered his dream by “his stupidity”.


Another survivor said he was lucky to be alive. He said, “I drank from a cup which had a mixture of the hand sanitiser and water”.

" But it was just very little. I later drank plenty of water and only throat irritation remained, " he said.

“I am, however, feeling pain in the throat and stomach,” he said.


Some of the students, whose parents couldn’t afford emergency medical attention, are still receiving basic care at the school’s medical clinic.

The school’s principal refused to comment on the matter.


Parents at the school said they want clarity about the incident because none of the high-ranking teachers has communicated to them.


“We are demanding the principal resigns, and the board of governors sent packing over the negligence, said a parent.


The body of the victim was taken to a Turkana hospital morgue, awaiting post-mortem.

Post a Comment

What is your say on this

Previous Post Next Post